- Kahn, J. S. (2019) Islands of sovereignty: Haitian migration and the borders of empire. University of Chicago Press.
- Kahn, J. S. (forthcoming) Racializing aesthetics: "Boat people," maritime worlds, and the metonymy of the Haitian sloop. Current Anthropology.
- Kahn, J. S. (forthcoming) From river urbanization to ocean gentrification: Miami's breakbulk port and the precarious geographies of Haitian shipping. In Unruly Oceans (tentative title). Ed. Irus Braverman. New York: Routledge.
- Kahn, J. S. (forthcoming) Law, anthropology, and the problem of incommensurability. Alabama Law Review.
- Kahn, J. S. (2021) Border dialectics and the border multiple: A view from the northern Caribbean. HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory.
- Kahn, J. S. (2019) Smugglers, migrants, and demons: Cosmographies of mobility in the northern Caribbean. American Ethnologist.
- Kahn, J. S. (2017) Geographies of discretion and the jurisdictional imagination. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review.
- Kahn, J. S. (2016) The Caribbean roots of European maritime interdiction. Hot Spots, Cultural Anthropology website.
- Kahn, J. S. (2011) Policing ‘evil’: State-sponsored witch-hunting in the People’s Republic of Bénin. Journal of Religion in Africa.